LapplandMedia & PhotoAdventures– your best photo guide to Aurora borealis in Swedish Lapland!
Swedish Lapland and Abisko is without a doubt unrivalled as the best place on Earth to experience Aurora borealis and Lonely Planet recently ranked Abisko as the number one location in the world to see the Aurora. The towering Scandinavian mountain range to the west creates a rain shadow and in turn guarantees more clear nights than anywhere else under the auroral oval. The pristine wintertime landscape, Scandinavian wildlife and Sami culture all contribute to the magic of this region. LapplandMedia photographer Peter Rosén has lived in Abisko for 17 years, has a background as an associate professor in environmental science and is now working full time as a professional photographer. He or one of his professional photo guides gladly shares their intimate knowledge of the nature, natural phenomena, climate change, the Sámi culture and people who live here during the course.
This photo course simply cannot be found anywhere else. Our focus is utmost quality, which we obtain by devoting ourselves to small groups (max 7 guests). Learning the art of wilderness, night time and Aurora photography requires close tutoring, which is exactly what we offer. Small groups also makes moving to different locations not only easy, but definitely increases the chances of capturing the spellbinding northern lights.
We will visit 3 different locations to make sure you get a variety of images during your stay: a snowmobile ride to our traditional Sami tipi tent and nice photo spot in the Abisko valley, a minibuss ride to eg. Norway or in the direction of Kiruna and an evening dogsledding tour in Abisko National Park. We have access to a 4WD minibus and a snow mobile just in case the weather is better somewhere else. Flexibility is the key to success! The tour is part of the Canon Photography School and thanks to Canon and Manfrotto, we can offer amateur and professional SLR cameras, lenses and tripods, specially designed for northern lights photography – without any additional cost.
Program for the tour
Day 1, 17.15: Your guide will meet you at the Abisko Mountain Station reception. 17.30 Gourmet three course welcome dinner created by local specialities. Presentation of the program and introduction to Aurora and night photographing. SLR cameras, lenses and tripods especially designed for Aurora photography will be available every night. 19.30: We are ready to take a beautiful snow mobile ride into our favourite photo spot in the Abisko valley and to a traditional Sápmi Tentipi® Nordic tipi. The Aurora/night photographing course continues step by step and we will arrange many new image. 00.00 Return back to your hotel in Abisko.
Day 2, 10.00: We will explore the Abisko National Park from a snow mobile. We search and photograph nice landscapes and try to find and photograph moose. Lunch outdoors. We will run tutorial on how to best photograph mountain landscapes and animals. 14.00 Return back to your hotel in Abisko.
Day 2, 17.15: Gourmet three course dinner created by local specialities. Your photo guide will join the group. 19.30: Depending on weather we have two options for this night. Either we take a minibus ride to a beautiful photo spot or we will explore new nice photo locations in the Abisko National Park using our snow mobile. Flexibility is the key to success and thanks to our minibus and snow mobile we are free to move where the chances are best for this night. The Aurora/night photographing course continues step by step and we will arrange many new image. 00.00 Return back to your hotel in Abisko.
Day 3, 15.30: Indoor class. We will give your constructive comments on your images and show you how to best edit aurora images in lightroom/photoshop for your wall. Your professional photographer/guide will also show you how to produce real time aurora video from your footage.
Day 3, 17.15: Gourmet three course dinner created by local specialities. Your photo guide will join the group. 19.30: We will travel with dogsled into the wilderness of Abisko NP and continue our Aurora photography course (video below is from one of our tours). The dogs will be a nice foreground to our pictures. 00.00 Return back to your hotel in Abisko.
Day 4, 10.00: Check out from your hotel. We can help you to arrange your transfer to eg. Kiruna airport. You may want to spend more time in Abisko, Kiruna or Stockholm or stop-over at many of the wonderful European destinations on your way home. By now you will want to sleep for a million years, but you will not be able to wipe the smile from your face.
We suggest adding 2 nights at Camp Ripan in Kiruna including our favourite activities: Day 4: Transfer to Camp Ripan Kiruna. Lunch at Camp Ripan. Choose one of these activities: snow mobile tour, dogsledding, Aurora SPA, a day visit to Sami people and reindeers to learn more about the Sami culture or an evening aurora photo tour with Sami photographers. 18.00 2 course gourmet dinner at Camp Ripan. Day 5, Breakfast and lunch at Camp Ripan. Choose one of these activities: snow mobile tour, dogsledding, Aurora SPA, a day visit to Sami people and reindeers to learn more about the Sami culture or an evening aurora photo tour with Sami photographers. 18.00 2 course gourmet dinner at Camp Ripan. Day 6, Departure after breakfast.
The itinerary may change due to unforeseen conditions.
• Tour dates 2016/17: Dec 1-4 (fully booked); Dec 28-31 (1 space left); Jan 1-4 (fully booked); Jan 30-Feb- Feb 2 (fully booked); Feb 14-17 (fully booked), Feb 20-23 (5 spaces left); March 1-4 (4 spaces left), March 16-19 (5 spaces left). Other dates possible for groups on request. The tour can be extended 2 nights at Camp Ripan in Kiruna including activities like aurora tour with Sami people, snowmobile tour, dogsledding or evening photo tour.
Group size: Max 7 persons per departure, minimum age 16 years.
• Price: 14 300 SEK, accommodation at STF Abisko Mountain Station, double or single room, full board. No additional fee for single room accommodation.
Add 2 nights at Camp Ripan, Kiruna: +7990 SEK, including 2 nights in a double room, full board, all transfers and 2 activities. Supplement single room, 1175 SEK per person/2 nights.
Book Now! Or at least 30 days prior to departure. More info: +46 70 3338883; firstname.lastname@example.org
Why should you choose LapplandMedia & PhotoAdventures for your next photo adventure?
100% success rate on our multi-day Aurora photo tours 4 years in a row says probably quite a lot about our tours. This means that all previous guests participating on multi-day tours over the past four years have seen and captured the Aurora in beautiful environments. We are truly dedicated to ensuring our guest’s satisfaction and proud to say that we are the winner of the TripAdvisor Certificate of Excellence Award. We are the only company in Swedish Lapland who can offer guided photo tours with professional photographers all year round. We have been running photo courses in Abisko and Swedish Lapland at least 10 years longer than any other company in the area and we are the only company working with photographers coming from Swedish Lapland (other photo companies in Abisko run tours with Chinese, American and English guides) and we run tours with much smaller groups (max 7 guests). Since we come from the area we do have much better local knowledge about being up in the mountains, important not only for safety reasons but also important for good images and stories about living in the Arctic. We welcome you to our own back garden. We do also run our tours longer in the evenings which increase your opportunities for great experiences and Aurora photos (our guests decide when we go home). Our idea is that you have come to Abisko for a once in a life time experience and we will do all we can to full fill your dream to see and photograph the Aurora and the Arctic landscape in a nice way. We might be the only company in the world with a 100% success rate on Aurora photo tours. The fleeting nature of the northern lights means it is naturally difficult to guarantee you will see them, but to date we have been thrilled!
Get inspired and look at Peter Rosén’s images here: LapplandMedia
Our 4 day northern lights photography tour includes:
- Three nights at Hotel STF Abisko located inside the Abisko National Park. Rooms have access to a private bathroom and free Wi-Fi service.
- A professional photographer will guide you to our favourite aurora photo spots in the Abisko valley and evening tours include a snow mobile sleigh ride to our remote tipi tent (1n), evening dogsled tour into the wilderness of Abisko National Park (1n), minibus ride to a nice photo location (1n), day tour with a snow mobile sleigh ride into the Abisko National Park to search and photograph moose and nice mountain landscapes (1d).
- Indoor class where we will discuss how we can improve our images, develop images in eg. lightroom and how to produce a real time Aurora movie from your still images (1n).
- Access to a 4 WD minibus and a snow mobile just in case the weather is better somewhere else.
- Amateur and professional Canon SLR cameras and Manfrotto tripod. We are sponsored by Canon so we have a good selection of cameras.
- Warm Arctic overalls to keep you warm. You are welcome to keep the overall also for day time activities.
- Organic breakfast buffet (3d).
- Lunch buffet or packable lunch boxes for your outdoor activities in Abisko National Park (2d).
- Gourmet three course dinners created with local delicacies such as reindeer and Arctic char (3d).
- Feel free to choose our delicious vegetarian, vegan and gluten free meals. Please tell us in advance about your preferences.
- Bilingual guide, Swedish and English.
- All our guides are true professional photographers from Swedish Lapland which means we welcome our guests to our own backyard, and that makes all the difference compared to our players in the region.
- We can help you to book your transfer from eg. Kiruna at an additional cost.
Thanks to its dry climate and location in the aurora oval, Abisko National Park and Kiruna are two of the best places on earth to watch and photograph the Aurora. Statistics from previous seasons show that the Aurora Borealis is visible at least 80 % of the nights in Abisko. However, since the Aurora is a natural phenomenon we cannot guarantee any viewing of the Aurora borealis (northern lights) but we will do our best to make your tour as an unforgettable experience.